We're baaa....ack
We returned from a long weekend in Missouri last night. I finally met in person a great friend I've had for seven years. Sara and I have been connected since Feb '01 when we met on a message board for people expecting children in Oct. 01. We slowly developed a very close relationship and it had gotten to the point where we wanted to meet in person.
Sara and I have so many parallels, it's almost unbelievable. Our maiden initials ae opposite of each other SEJ & JES, we love the same band, had the same major in college, even have had the same major illness in the month of December. There are too many others to list but I have to say how lucky I am to have crossed her path. Had the internet not existed, we would have never had the opportunity to develop this friendship. It's amazing that I could become so close with someone I had never met before. She's like family to me. We have begun to talk about the next time we can get together. Even our kids got along great.
Our weekend was full of fun and excitement. After a long drive through OK we met Sara, Jenna & Jacob at our hotel in Springfield in the evening and then ran out for supper. Kids got to play in the pool and we turned in early for a big Saturday.
We started out at Dickerson Park Zoo. It is smaller but still had plenty to do. We saw several peacocks & peahens travelling about. In fact, I got an excellent shot of a peacocks feather spray from the rear, since the rotten thing kept moving every time I went to take his picture.
Kids @ Zoo

Ellie, Sierra, Jenna & Jacob

The oh-so proud peacock

We got to see a baby giraffe that was only a week old and the kids got to feed some of his friends. He was too shy to come over & visit. We also took a train ride around the laske at the park. We found a water play area and they all danced around in that to cool off before we got some sno-cones. There were even some flourescent scorpions. Very neat.
Saturday night we took the kids to see Kung-Foo Panda. They all seemed to enjoy it and the Happy Meal toy of the Panda meant so much more to them after seeing the movie.
Oh-there was swimming between the zoo & the movie.
Sunday, we went to Jefferson Avenue Footbridge and looked down at 13 tracks of trains. Well, all 13 weren;t full but we saw several trains pass in the 20 minutes we were there. One was a double decker train that barely cleared the bridge. Sierra was none to happy about that. I found the perfect house for my father-in-law. He could spit to the train yard from his front porch ;)
We also took a moment to look in the Bass Pro Shop. They had several ponds and streams full of wildlife. Turtles, ducks, fish. Oh and a dachsund too. I think Doxie got the most attention. We carried her in and no one said a word to us about not allowing her in. After lunch we went to the Discovery Center of Springfield & let the kids explore. Topped off by an evening of, you guessed it......swimming.
Monday morning was bad because Sara & her son Jacob had picked up a bug and had been ill all night. Jake told Sara he must be homesick. She then toild him all was OK because they were going home in the morning. To which he replied, no-my tummy hurts and it was all over at that point. THey did make it home safely despite the sickies.
Most of the gang on Monday AM

We went to HOney Heavan and learned in great detail about bees & the honeymaking process-the bee making process too. We had a full day of rain for our drive home which made our stop in Joplin a very wet one. We planned to see Grand Falls and we sure did. Grand Falls is the only continuously flowing waterfall in the atate of Missouri.
Grand Falls

I've put a couple of the better pix here & hopefully my link to photobucket will take you to all of them. Yes, I AM wearing a plastic bag on my head at Grand Falls. Quit laughing.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/jes2321/
Sara and I have so many parallels, it's almost unbelievable. Our maiden initials ae opposite of each other SEJ & JES, we love the same band, had the same major in college, even have had the same major illness in the month of December. There are too many others to list but I have to say how lucky I am to have crossed her path. Had the internet not existed, we would have never had the opportunity to develop this friendship. It's amazing that I could become so close with someone I had never met before. She's like family to me. We have begun to talk about the next time we can get together. Even our kids got along great.
Our weekend was full of fun and excitement. After a long drive through OK we met Sara, Jenna & Jacob at our hotel in Springfield in the evening and then ran out for supper. Kids got to play in the pool and we turned in early for a big Saturday.
We started out at Dickerson Park Zoo. It is smaller but still had plenty to do. We saw several peacocks & peahens travelling about. In fact, I got an excellent shot of a peacocks feather spray from the rear, since the rotten thing kept moving every time I went to take his picture.
Kids @ Zoo
Ellie, Sierra, Jenna & Jacob
The oh-so proud peacock
We got to see a baby giraffe that was only a week old and the kids got to feed some of his friends. He was too shy to come over & visit. We also took a train ride around the laske at the park. We found a water play area and they all danced around in that to cool off before we got some sno-cones. There were even some flourescent scorpions. Very neat.
Saturday night we took the kids to see Kung-Foo Panda. They all seemed to enjoy it and the Happy Meal toy of the Panda meant so much more to them after seeing the movie.
Oh-there was swimming between the zoo & the movie.
Sunday, we went to Jefferson Avenue Footbridge and looked down at 13 tracks of trains. Well, all 13 weren;t full but we saw several trains pass in the 20 minutes we were there. One was a double decker train that barely cleared the bridge. Sierra was none to happy about that. I found the perfect house for my father-in-law. He could spit to the train yard from his front porch ;)
We also took a moment to look in the Bass Pro Shop. They had several ponds and streams full of wildlife. Turtles, ducks, fish. Oh and a dachsund too. I think Doxie got the most attention. We carried her in and no one said a word to us about not allowing her in. After lunch we went to the Discovery Center of Springfield & let the kids explore. Topped off by an evening of, you guessed it......swimming.
Monday morning was bad because Sara & her son Jacob had picked up a bug and had been ill all night. Jake told Sara he must be homesick. She then toild him all was OK because they were going home in the morning. To which he replied, no-my tummy hurts and it was all over at that point. THey did make it home safely despite the sickies.
Most of the gang on Monday AM
We went to HOney Heavan and learned in great detail about bees & the honeymaking process-the bee making process too. We had a full day of rain for our drive home which made our stop in Joplin a very wet one. We planned to see Grand Falls and we sure did. Grand Falls is the only continuously flowing waterfall in the atate of Missouri.
Grand Falls
I've put a couple of the better pix here & hopefully my link to photobucket will take you to all of them. Yes, I AM wearing a plastic bag on my head at Grand Falls. Quit laughing.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/jes2321/


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home